Sunday, March 04, 2007

BUSY BUSY BUSY

Last week was our busiest week since we got here.Tuesday was to be my playing in round at Swaffham Golf club,so I was understandably nervous on Monday night as I hadn't played a serious round of golf for many years,but everything was ready,clubs ,balls,tees,bag ,shoes (poor old spiders had to find a new place to live).Tuesday morning dawned and it was horrendous wind and pouring rain but undaunted I made my way to the club to meet up with the others who included the Seniors Captain (ex RAF sqd leader flying Vulcans),so you can see why I was nervous.Anyway to cut a long story short the rain continued to fall, and after a couple of hours it was decided to call it a day. I still don't know if I was pleased or dissappointed,bit of both I think.
Wednesday was quiz night.Lyn and I got off to a very bad start and we were heading for our first last place,but with questions on food and drink,sport and a good pot luck section we pulled it off and came a very creditable 3rd place.
Thursday night was bellringing practice.Progress is still being made and its only a matter of time now until we move on to ringing with the established group.Lyn still manages to bring humour to the proceedings,and I don't think the teachers really know how to deal with her.
Because Tuesday got rained off Friday was to be my revised playing in day,and unlike Tuesday Friday dawned crystal clear and no wind,so there was no putting off the inevitable I was paired with Mike against Alan and Derek.I managed to talk myself into a truly crap first tee short,but convinced myself that I was better than that and all I had to was to concentrate, and slow down.I'm pleased to say that my advice to myself worked and things soon came together.Whilst I could have played better I was pretty pleased with how things turned out , and Mike and I ran out the winners 5and 4.Next step is to get some decent clubs(Matt I need your help) and to build confidence to the point of hitting drivers off the tees rather than a trusty 5 iron.
Friday night we were out to dinner with some more golfers which included a mad but very likeable Danish man (Ole)who has a remote controlled trolley called Olga which has a mind of its own and goes walkabout on the course causing mayhem.A very good evening with fine food and excellent company.Once again we staggered home in the early hours with umbrella and torch.We got soaked but somehow it didn't matter.
Shaun and Anne Marie came up yesterday,it was great to see them(so where are you Jan and Stuart),we had lunch at the Crown, (which was surprisingly good)followed by a walk round the village,stopping en route to show them my allotment.We also bumped into some local allotmenteers (is that their collective name) and got some advice, or at least I think we did but it was very difficult to understand them being that they were both well over retirement age, obviously Norfolk born and bred,and had without a doubt been on the sauce for much of the morning and a lot of the afternoon.Something about cats crapping on their leeks.The only cats I could see were some cardboard ones stuck in the ground which one of the guys duly fell over.Also it had rained 20ms in the night according to one of them but they didn't know what ms meant.They both agreed after much discussion amongst themselves that it had in fact PISSED DOWN.We left them to their leeks, plastic cats and of course their ms.
Shaun and Anne Marie left about 7.30 and now its just me and Lyn ,which is very comfy and cosy.We have a quiet week coming up which will be nice.Might go down to the allotment lean on my spade and wait for the locals to gather and offer advice on how to proceed.Happy days.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger Jonny said...

Great blogging again.

Happy Days indeed. It's great reading about stuff like this. I'm just glad you manage to fit in time to update the blog!

Good skills with the golf as well. I hope you stick at it and get really into it.

I reckon we are due some pictures of the allotment as well, including the cardboard cats!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger MIKE AND LYN said...

Thanks Jonny will get some pictures on soon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home