Friday, March 23, 2007

BANG CRASH WALLOP

This is what happens when you haven't got your seat belt on and you get hit by a large lorry carrying a load of timber.I and two others were just leaving the golf club after a really enjoyable game ,I was in the back and Mike was in the passenger seat whilst the mad Danish man Ole was the driver.The car was a VW Passat estate.Ihad got a lift to the club with them both and I must admit on the way there I was a bit worried as Ole was driving very quickly,most of which was on narrow twisty country lanes,anyway we got there ok and enjoyed a good round of golf,and afterwards a couple of drinks in the bar before setting out for home.Anyway to pick up the story we just leaving the club and having to make a right turn in order to get on the correct side of the road.The club is located on a narrowish road but with reasonable visibility for making a right turn.We were just making the turn and must have been almost in the center of the road when I remember Mike shouting "OLE LOOK OUT ",the next I remember was this huge huge metallic bang and the car filling with smoke which I thought was fire but was in fact smoke from the airbags.Ialso remember thinking or saying am I alright,which thankfully I was.We all three seemed to be rooted to the spot before staggering out of the car.People soon came running to see if we were all ok and did any of us need an ambulance.Both Mike and Ole were ok apart from some minor cuts.The lorry had ended up through a fence and nose down in the field opposite,with his load of logs on the road and with some through his rear cab window and into the driving compartment.I think he was very lucky not to have been seriously injured as were we three.Anyway to cut a long story short the police soon attended and started to clear the mess up and do what they do in the event of an accident.Ole was
given a breath test and was ok.Lyn came to pick me up and was was really shocked to see the devestation,as was Ann, Mikes wife .I needed a couple of cups of sweet tea to calm me down as I was feeling a bit shaky.As you can see the bruises are looking good.Lyn insisted she take the pictures outside for maximum effect.
So although I was just about to put my belt on (in fact I was just reaching for it)make sure you have your belt on before the wheels start turning.A lesson has been learned,and as they say quite rightly you are never too old to learn.

4 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear Mike, that seems to have been a narrow escape, it does'nt bear thinking about what might have happened. With bruises like that, you could come and keep my poor old mum company, she had a fall and is covered in similar coloured bruises. Is Norfolk life getting a bit 'hairy'?

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well it all happens in Norfolk - you`re meant to be taking it easy now you`re retired!!!

In all seriousness, looks like you had a lucky escape. I did think to myself that the road was narrow when we were there the other week.

Presume Ole`s driving on the course isn`t that bad??? Corking bruise, Mum liquidising your food for you??

Glad you`re okay though.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Jonny said...

Yeah, that sure does look like a lucky escape and I for one will now be buckling up in the back seat!

Obviously more than glad you are all ok.

And I thought retirement was supposed to be nice and relaxing!

I hope it doesn't put you off going back to the golf club.....

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger MIKE AND LYN said...

Thanks for all your concerns.Went back to the club this morning and was told that the lorry was also a right off,as when they pulled it out the wheels,engine gearbox all stayed in the field.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home